How to check the status of your case
Last updated on December 11, 2023
To learn the status of your case, first you need to know which immigration agency to check. Some asylum seekers have a case in immigration court. Other asylum seekers do not have a case in immigration court, and apply for asylum with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Whether your asylum case is with immigration court or with USCIS, your work permit application will be submitted to and processed by USCIS.
- Call the immigration court hotline at 1-800-898-7180 or go to this immigration court website to find out the date of your next hearing and other information.
- You will need to enter your A Number, which you can find at the top right of your Notice to Appear.
- If you believe you have an immigration court case but the court hotline says that your information cannot be found, learn what steps you can take.
- If you are not sure whether you have a case in immigration court, read about ways to find out.
- If you submitted your asylum application to USCIS by mail, you can check the status of your application online at this USCIS webpage. You will need to enter your receipt number, which you can find at the top left of your receipt notice.
- If you submitted your asylum application to USCIS online, you can log into your online USCIS account to check your case status and find documents such as your receipt notice.
- Visit this USCIS webpage to check the status of your work permit application. You will need to enter your receipt number, which you can find at the top left of your work permit receipt notice.
- Find information about processing times: USCIS will now give an estimate of when you should receive a decision on your work permit application. Visit your online USCIS account and click the “myProgress” tab. If you need to set up an online account, learn how.
This information is not intended to be legal advice.