How and when to file your taxes

Last updated on February 23, 2024

If you work in the United States (U.S.) you are required to file your taxes if your income in 2023 was higher than a specific amount. You can learn if you need to file taxes based on how much money you earned and other factors on this government website.

The deadline to file your taxes is April 15, 2024. If you are not able to file your taxes by this date, learn how to request an extension.

There are benefits to filing your taxes. For example:

  • You can receive refunds. When you work in the U.S., sometimes part of your income is automatically withheld by the state and federal governments. When you file your taxes, you may be eligible to receive a refund of the money that was withheld.
  • You may be able to receive Child Tax Credit payments. The Child Tax Credit is a payment from the U.S. government to help families with children. To receive Child Tax Credit payments, your children must have Social Security numbers. Read general information about the Child Tax Credit.
  • It can help you with your immigration case. For example, filing your taxes can serve as proof of the years that you have lived in the U.S., which can be very important for an immigration case.
  • The process is safe. In general, all of the information that you provide when you file your taxes is confidential and will not be shared with other agencies or individuals.  The police and the immigration agencies will not investigate you for filing your taxes.

If you do not have a social security number, you can still file your taxes with an ITIN number.

If you need help filing your taxes, you can find places to help you for free. You can enter your zip code on this website to find places close to where you live.  Or you can call this free hotline: 1-800-906-9887.

If you prefer someone to help you on the phone instead of in person, you can visit this website.

For more information and resources from the Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) visit our website.

Note: This information is for individuals seeking asylum in the United States and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.